- Jill Kelley had to overreact to Paula Broadwell's innocuous emails;
- Jill Kelley had to be really connected to the FBI, enough to have them to take an interest in, and waste a shitload of money on, a completely non-criminal issue;
- an FBI employee had to be a total freak willing to risk his career to politicize this non-issue;
- the tale had to make its way to Eric Cantor, with his peculiar Jewish and personal interest in going after Petraeus;
- the investigation had to uncover a totally different massive email correspondence between Kelley and General Allen, the risk of discovery of which apparently didn't disturb Kelley.
Had any of these unlikely events not occurred, General Petraeus would still be leading the CIA and General Allen would be well on his way to being named Supreme Allied Commander Europe.